Vallarai Leaves / Keerai
Vallarai keerai is a prominent green leafy vegetable that is widely utilised in traditional South Indian cookery. Although the thick, verdant leaves have no discernible perfume or flavour and are tasteless and odourless,They relieve stress and anxiety by decreasing levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which is known as "brahmi" leaves in English.They can be easily included in foods, such as vallarai keerai kootu or dal, vallarai keerai thuvayal (a thick, gritty chutney version), salads, soups, idlis, dosas, and sambhar, along with spices.
Benefits For Health:
- Improves Brain Functions
- Boosts Immune System
- Maintains Heart Health
- Relaxes Muscle Cramps
- Treats Constipation
- Vallar is also effective for stomach ulcers.
- Vallarai keera, like Mantakali keera, is a pain reliever.
You can receive relief from a sore throat by chewing four Vallarai leaves in the morning and evening.
When children take vallar regularly in their meals, their memory improves. With age, the likelihood of having dementia diminishes. Get into the habit of not skipping Vallarai.
Vallarai Keerai Dosa:
- 4 cups dosa batter
- 3 cups vallarai keerai leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- as needed, salt
- Oil, for making dosa
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- In a blender, puree the vallarai keerai leaves and add it to the dosa batter.
- On a low heat, add the chopped onions and sauté until they become translucent.
- After tempering the peppercorn and cumin seeds, add the sautéed onions to the batter.
- To acquire the final dosa mix, adjust for salt and pepper.
Disclaimer: The ingredients used in the above recipes might be allergic to some. so trying them is all at your own risk.
Veenas - the trading name of Pride Asia Food Ltd specializes in selling asian groceries and vegetables.based in Ilford, East London, we also have a supermarket in High Street, Barkingside, London, IG6 2AF. With a massive demand from our UK customers, we are now expanding the shopping experience to a whole new level. www.veenas.com - an online shop, where you can find over 25,000 products from hundreds of brands.